I bet there’s not one of you who hasn’t felt tired and rundown at some time in your life (even Superwoman has been known to lose her mojo). It happens to us all and it’s a fact of life that we get busy and have a lot to cope with.
But what if it’s more than that? What if you’ve treated yourself to a day off, a luxury bubble bath and an early night… and you wake up still feeling, well, crap…?
I’m getting to something here but bear with me… I want to see how many of these symptoms are familiar to how you feel right now….
• You feel tired for no obvious reason
• You feel rundown and overwhelmed
• You crave salty & sweet snacks and carb foods
• You’re not bouncing back as you used to after illness or stress
• You have trouble getting out of bed even after a good night’s sleep
• You feel easily stressed and irritated
• You are susceptible to chronic infections
• You need lots of coffee or other stimulants to keep you going all day
Is this a lightbulb moment for you?
You might be suffering from Adrenal Fatigue (in French, la fatigue surrénale)!
Our modern lifestyles cause a huge amount of stress, which is not easy on the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands (also known as suprarenal glands) are the triangle-shaped endocrine glands that sit on top of the kidneys. Their job is to regulate the stress response through the combination of corticosteroids like cortisol and catecholamines like adrenaline.
In fact there are even more symptoms as demonstrated in the diagram below.
(© Integrative Nutrition, Inc. | Reprinted with permission).
So you’ve identified that this could be YOU. What can you do about it?
Don’t panic! You can work on this and get back to that energised, glowing, calm, ready to bounce-out-of-bed person you used to be! Okay maybe the bouncing out of bed is a tall order, but you won’t have to be dragged kicking and screaming at least.
There are a few changes that you absolutely need to make to reverse the effects of Adrenal Fatigue.
1. Ensure you are getting adequate sleep on a regular basis. It needs to be a priority and you need to do it consistently.
2. Eliminate sugar and processed carbs. The adrenal glands are being overworked trying to balance blood sugar levels. They need a break.
3. Eat clean and whole food. Get rid of ready meals and start cooking real food. Include nutrient dense foods such as avocado, nuts, seeds, fatty fish, olives, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts…
4. Reduce the coffee habit and introduce more water.
5. Seriously evaluate the stress in your life and see if there is a way of eradicating or reducing it.
Are you thinking, Lorraine “but that’s what you say is the remedy to other conditions”. You’re right! A gold “Smiley” sticker for paying close attention! And that’s because nearly all chronic conditions are brought about by stress, food choices and lifestyle factors.
The resulting symptoms and conditions may vary, but this is just how your body is reacting to the same underlying causes. It really is as simple as getting back to basics much of the time. Some conditions may require an extra tweak here and there, but fundamentally, it’s about nourishing your body with all it needs to stay well and stop feeding it foods and a lifestyle that it wasn’t designed to handle.
What I’ve taught you here isn’t rocket science, I’m not telling you stuff you don’t already know deep down. What matters now, is whether you chose to act on it!
Ask yourself how important is it to you to:
• STOP feeling so crap all the time?
• STOP feeling tired?
• STOP feeling irritable and taking it out on your family?
• STOP needing the sugar, the coffee and other cravings?
• STOP looking like you’re 20 years older than you are?
• STOP getting recurring infections?
Only YOU can decide if you’re prepared to take action!
It’s not easy, in some cases you’ll be changing habits of a lifetime. But the results are worth it – you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
If you want to tackle it, but just know you can’t do it alone, do get in touch. This is exactly what I do. I help you to make those changes without it being overwhelming or too drastic and without you depriving yourself.
On a lighter note…
I’d love to share a few a few photos from a brilliant Punjabi Indian cookery demo my friend and fellow Health Coach hosted at my home. Gursharn came all the way from Paris to cook for my family and friends, teaching us traditional customs and recipes which were out of this world and so easy to make and so healthy. When she has her own website up and running I’ll let you know.
Thank you for reading. Please share this with anyone you feel may benefit from this information.
Finally, please tell me in the comments below, or by email or Facebook, what you feel is holding you back from making the changes you need to make in order to rediscover the very best version of you! Let me know too if you’ve lost your mojo and I’ll keep an eye out for it! 😉